I hate to admit it, but for years I did not know how to correctly set playback in Finale to change from a straight 8th feel (i.e. latin, bossa nova, etc.) to swing style. I tried things that came close, but until a jazz arranging class member gave me these exact instructions, I was clueless. (And I’ve been using Finale since 1989. I know, no excuse.)
This short video tutorial shows you how to make the playback in Finale sound good when going from straight 8ths to swing.
- Choose Advanced Tool Palette
- Click on Midi Tool >> Edit Note Durations
- Highlight area to be swing
- In Midi Tool >> Select Alter Feel
- Enter 171 as the value in Backbeats By:
- Click OK